PhD Student / SIP webmaster
New Cabell Hall 436
Mon/Wed 12-1pm or by appointment
Ph.D., Spanish, University of Virginia (projected 2021)
M.A., Spanish, University of Virginia (projected 2018)
B.A., Latin American Studies, New York University (2015), magna cum laude
- Religion in Spanish America, particularly missionary narratives, conventual literature, hagiography, and indigenous belief systems
- The making of saints, myths, and icons in both religious and secular contexts
- The history, politics, and culture of soccer, especially in Argentina
- Digital humanities
- Intermediate Spanish (fall 2017)
- Intermediate Spanish (spring 2017), collaborated with students on a class playlist in conjunction with the grammatical and cultural curriculum
- Intermediate Spanish (fall 2016), led students in a writing workshop and creation of a class magazine, “SPAN 2010 Mag,” as part of action research into foreign-language composition
Selected Publications & Presentations
- “<friarspeak>: Fray Francisco Ximénez as editor of the Popol Wuj.” Graduate Student Lecture Series, Department of Spanish, Italian & Portuguese, University of Virginia, October 27, 2017.
- “The life of Catholic foundress Cornelia Connelly was ruled by men. Was her obedience to them holy?” America Magazine, October 27, 2017.
- “Episode 29: Our Lady of Guadalupe (with Catherine Addington).” Spirits Podcast, March 1, 2017.
- “Brazil’s Little Platoons.” The American Conservative, August 12, 2016.
- “Hypervisible Church.” First Things, July 27, 2016.
- “The Politics and Poetry of Copa América Centenario.” Unusual Efforts, June 2, 2016.
- “The Mythical Founding of Club Atlético Independiente.” Unusual Efforts, April 6, 2016.
- “Katharine Drexel: The American Missionary.” First Things, April 4, 2016.
- “Crime and Crisis: The Film of Fabián Bielinsky." Esferas 4 (2015): 40–42.
- “Dios y los Diez: The Mythologization of Diego Maradona and Lionel Messi in Contemporary Argentina.” Esferas 4 (2015).
- “Off the Literary Reservation.” The American Conservative, Sept./Oct. 2014, pp. 28–30.
Grants & Awards
- Charles Killian Wolcz Summer Fellowship, summer 2017
- New York University Department of Spanish and Portuguese Award, presented for excellence in an honors undergraduate thesis, awarded for “Dios y los Diez: The Mythologization of Diego Maradona and Lionel Messi in Contemporary Argentina,” May 2015
- Dean’s Undergraduate Research Fund Grant, New York University, summer 2014
- New York University College of Arts and Sciences Presidential Honors Scholar, 2013–2015