- 20th century Spanish Literature
- Catalan culture, history and film
Graduate Teaching Assistant, August 2015 - present
University of Virginia
- Taught three semesters of Intermediate Spanish (SPAN 2010), a lower-level course on language, literature and culture; the third course in the four-course language requirement series for Spanish at UVA.
- Taught four semesters of Advanced Intermediate Spanish (SPAN 2020), a lower-level course on language, literature and culture; the last course in the four-course language requirement series for Spanish at UVA.
- Taught one semester of Grammar and Composition (SPAN 3010), a course for Spanish majors and minors
- Taught two semesters of Spanish to English Translation (SPAN 4040), an upper-level course for Spanish majors and minors
- Taught two courses (Intermediate and Advanced Intermediate Spanish) for UVA’s study abroad program in Valencia, Spain
Contemporary Colombian Poetry: An Anthology. Translated by Alexa Jeffress and Caroline Whitcomb, Valparaíso Editions, 2019. (Forthcoming Fall 2019)
“Guillermo Martínez’s ‘A Repulsive Happiness’”. Taylor & Francis, Translation Review, July 2019, www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/07374836.2019.1632763.
Detroit Doesn’t Love Us Anymore. By Miguel Rollón, Translated by Alexa Jeffress and Caroline Whitcomb, Valparaíso Editions, 2019.
ALDEEU, 35th International Conference, June 2018.
- “Bombas nucleares estadounidenses en Palomares, España: El caso de ‘Carmen la Radiactiva’ de Jesús López Pacheco”
Kentucky Foreign Language Conference, April 2018.
- “Luis de Vargas y su viaje psicológico en Pepita Jiménez”
Global and Local: The Migration Crisis Today, February 2019
- Invited to speak on this panel at UVA about the Spanish play Cifras
Grants and Awards
Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Summer Research Fellowship, 2019
- Awarded by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at UVA
- Funded dissertation research in Barcelona in July 2019
Del Greco Library Travel Fellowship, 2016
- Awarded by the Spanish department at UVA
- Spent 6 weeks at the University of Salamanca studying language and history.
Virtual Learning Liaison, August 2019- present
- Instructional design and support; created training modules for faculty members beginning to use virtual education
Graduate Student Summer Residency, July 2019
National Humanities Center
- Attended a two-week residency program titled “Objects and Places in an Inquiry-Based Classroom”
- Developed teaching tools using geospatial technology such as ArcGIS
- Completed training on object-based learning and use of archival material in the classroom
Tomorrow’s Professors Today, expected completion December 2019
- Member of the program through UVA’s Center for Teaching Excellence
- Observe faculty teaching, interview faculty and administration, complete 20+ hours of workshops, present at a conference, attend a conference, hold a leadership role
Course Design Institute, May 2018
- Attended a week-long institute hosted by the Center for Teaching Excellence at the University of Virginia
- Designed a learner-centered course, classroom, and learning activities
Translation Workshop, February 2019
- Organized, planned and facilitated a workshop on translation for the student staff of The Cavalier Daily, the university’s student-run newspaper.
Understanding and Implementing Equitable Teaching Practices, February 2019
- Co-designed, planned and facilitated this workshop for graduate students, lecturers and faculty
Feedback in Foreign Language Classrooms Workshop, October 2018
- Co-designed, planned and facilitated this workshop for graduate students and lecturers
Teaching Vocabulary, August 2018
- Lead a workshop for new graduate student teaching assistants in the Spanish Department
August Teaching Workshop, August 2018
- Lead a workshop designed for graduate students and focused on inclusivity in the classroom