Register for a Doctoral Language Exam (Arts & Sciences)
For a major in Spanish, please contact Linda Newman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Major Requirements by Concentration & Course Grid (General, Literature, and Linguistics)
Wyatt Summer Fellowship (DMP research)
For a minor in Spanish or Business Spanish, please contact Linda Newman at email@example.com
SPAN Major Audit Form (General) - Form for graduating majors with General concentration
SPAN Major Audit Form (Linguistics & Philology) - Form for graduating majors with Linguistics & Philology concentration
SPAN Major Audit Form (Literature & Culture) - Form for graduating majors with Literature & Culture concentration
SPAN Minor Audit Form - Form for graduating Spanish minors
SPAN Business Minor Audit Form - Form for graduating Business Spanish minors
Arts & Sciences Placement & Policies
Final Exam Postponement
College of Arts & Sciences policy states, "When serious conditions exist, students may be allowed to postpone a final exam until later in final exam period with the consent of the course instructor. Early exams are not permitted.
To request an exam postponement, submit a Request for Exam Postponement, with the instructor's recommendation and signature, to 138 Monroe Hall. The Dean's Office will review your request and will notify you and your instructor only if your request is denied."
For additional information, please visit the College of Arts & Sciences website at: http://college.as.virginia.edu/forms.
Sigma Delta Pi (Spanish Honor Society)
Sigma Delta Pi (Spanish Honor Society)
Each fall and spring, U.Va.'s Zeta Zeta Chapter of Sigma Delta Pi accepts applications for new members.
If you are interested in promoting Hispanic Literatures and Cultures, then Sigma Delta Pi is for you. Some of the most notable benefits are the opportunity for national awards, grants, and scholarships, which can facilitate study abroad programs and provide money for graduate research grants. Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society, is a non-profit organization incorporated in the State of South Carolina, a member of the Association of College Honor Societies, and partners with the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese and the North American Academy of the Spanish Language. Zeta Zeta Chapter of Sigma Delta Pi is currently accepting membership applications. Application is due Friday, March 26.
Requirements for Membership - Candidates for active membership:
- Must have completed three years of study of college-level Spanish (eighteen semester credit hours) or the equivalent thereof, including at least three semester hours of a course in Hispanic literature or Hispanic culture and civilization at the junior (third-year) level. A student may be admitted to active membership while still enrolled in the second junior-level course if all other requirements have been met and if the instructor of the course certifies that the student's work is of "B" or "A" quality.
- Must have a minimal grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale in all Spanish courses taken.
- Must rank in the upper 35% (3.2 GPA) of his/her class--sophomore, junior, or senior--and must have completed at least three semesters or five quarters of college work.
- Graduate students who have been unconditionally admitted to a degree-granting program may be elected to membership upon completion of two graduate courses in Spanish with an average which, if continued, will make them eligible for a graduate degree.
- Sigma Delta Pi does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, or disability.
La Casa Bolívar
La Casa Bolívar is open to all upperclass undergraduates and applications are available in early fall. For information on residential policies from UVa Housing in la Casa Bolívar, please click here. Application forms are available on the UVa housing website: http://www.virginia.edu/housing/ (click "Returning undergraduates").
For information on the application process, which includes a written statement and group interview with current residents, please visit the Casa Bolívar website.