Esperanza Górriz Jarque
M.A., Spanish and Linguistics, West Virginia University (2013)
Certificate in University Teaching, West Virginia University (2013)
M.A., English as a Foreign Language, University of Murcia, Murcia (Spain) (2008)
B.A., Translation and Interpretation, University Jaume I, Castellón (Spain) (2007)
Areas of Interests
- Eportofolio Uses in the Foreign Language Class (Reflective Thinking, Connection with Personal and Interdisciplinary Interests, Enhancement of Student Writing and Learning, and Feedback in Foreign Language Acquisition)
- Modern Hispanic Linguistics
- Language Acquisition
- Project Based Language Learning
- Student Centered Teaching
- Collaborative Learning
- Motivation in Foreign Language Learning
University of Virginia (2013-2017)
- Span 3010: Grammar and Composition I
- Span 2020: Advanced Intermediate Spanish
- Span 2010: Intermediate Spanish
West Virginia University (2011-2013)
- Span 101: Beginner Spanish
- Span 203: Intermediate Spanish
- Span 204: Advanced Intermediate Spanish
Other Teaching Experience
Middle and High School Spanish Teacher, Youngstown City Schools (2008-2011)
- Span I: Spanish for Beginners I
- Span II: Spanish for Beginners II
English Instructor, English Summer School, Valencia, Spain (2008)
Language Courses Organizer: Academia Suárez Language House, Frankfurt, Germany (2007)
Selected Professional Development
- 'Technology for a Monday Morning: A World Language Pedagogy Symposium', University of Richmond. (Spring 2018)
- 'Understanding Language Development through Formative Assessment', Georgetown University. (Spring 2018)
- 'Course Design Institute,' Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Virginia. (Spring 2018)
- 'Intercultural Communication: Language and Culture in Action,' (Institute of World Languages Fall Symposium), University of Virginia. (Fall 2017)
- AAEEBL (Association for Authentic, Experiential, and Evidence-Based Learning) SE Regional Conference, University of Virginia. (Fall 2017)
- 'Imagining Teaching and Learning Together,' (Annual Innovation in Pedagogy Summit), University of Virginia, (Fall 2017)
- 'Providing Effective Feedback and Grading Student Work,' Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Virginia, (Fall 2017)
- 'Encuentro ProfedeEle,' ProfedeEle, Valencia, Spain, (Summer 2017)
- “Curso Preparadores SIELE (Servicio Internacional de Evaluación de la Lengua Española). .
- 'E-Portfolio Reflections: Meaning Making Tools to Enrich the Learning Experience,' Co-Presenter, AAEEBL SE Regional Conference, University of Virginia, November 2017.
- 'E-Portofolio: Usos y aplicaciones prácticas en la clase de ELE a la hora de dar retroalimentación', ProfedeEle Summit, Valencia, Spain, July 2017.
- 'Mobilizing Peer Feedback and e-Portfolios for Powerful Collaborative Learning,' Co-Presenter, Innovations in Pedagogy Summit, University of Virginia, May 2017.
- 'Los Juegos de Mesa en el Aula,' Immersion Weekend for Spanish High School Teachers, West Virginia University, April 2013.
- 'La Movida Madrileña,' Meetings of Instituto Cervantes in Academia Suárez Language School, Frankfurt, Germany, October 2007.
Grants and Awards (at UVa)
- Grant from Institute of World Languages for Spanish Tertulia, University of Virginia (2017-8)
Involvement at UVa:
- International World of Languages Faculty Retreat Committee.
- Co-organizer: XXXVIII Congreso y Asamblea de ALDEEU: Thomas Jefferson y el universo hispano.
- Co-organizer of the Spanish, Italian, & Portuguese (SIP) Film Festival
- Co-organizer of the Spanish Cultural Weekly Newsletter
- Co-organizer of the Spanish Tertulia
- Training from 'Safe Space'
- Training from 'DREAMers on Grounds: UndocuAlly'
- Implicit Bias Intervention Workshop.
- Diversity Dialogues Workshop
- Survivor Support Network Training
Sigma Delta Pi